Sunday, March 27, 2011

Salt Lake love: Good eats

Oh, the eating we will do. This is how I think about any trip out of Wyoming. Salt Lake and Denver are the closest major cities, but though we may get there fairly often, I try to never eat the same place twice. Too many good choices!

This trip we discovered Ruth's Diner in Emigration canyon where the biscuits actually pleased the biscuit connoisseur (as did the homemade raspberry jam). The freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice made me pretty happy, too.



Everything there was wonderful, even the phone booth we had to cram into because the waiting room was full.


While Jack was entertaining folks at the IDOS convention, I found gems like Frida's Bistro:


Where this guy stared at me while I ate. 

Mazza, yummy Middle Eastern fare
(notice I also like eating at odd times when I have the place nearly to myself):
And then there was this gourmet grocer, Liberty Heights Fresh, where the cheesemonger helped me select a local chevre that had been mixed with apricot preserves and honey. I dipped two dates in it for dessert. YUM.

Oh, how good food makes me happy. Like the fresh (this morning) egg omelet with caramelized onions, spinach and feta my honey made me for breakfast today.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Note to Cory: Plan to take Jackie on the next eating excursion to SLC. I'm just sayin', is all.

for the love of a house said...

hi Cory!
I can soooo relate to this comment:
"Oh, how good food makes me happy."
Just last weekend after driving an hour to go to a salvage shop on the coast, but making a bee-line straight to a BBQ place, (we found only two weeks before and have now been twice! A BBQ owned by someone from Texas- it's hard to find BBQ here;) I made the comment to Dan getting back into the car with a full, happy stomach and heart that "this is why we will never be skinny people, because good food makes us literally HAPPY! I don't think super models get such pleasure from food." Poor skinny, hungry dears;)
All your food finds sounded wonderful, and I must say those biscuits were absolutely stunning! So glad Jack approved!
joan

Anonymous said...

I bet Jack is not easily impressed by biscuits!