Wednesday, March 23, 2011

His and hers vacations: day one

Jack and I spent the weekend in Salt Lake City, though his tale of his time there is far different from mine. We did what many like us (meaning in love but with our own set of interests) do when traveling: divide and enjoy.

We were there for the International Dutch Oven Society's World Championship Cook-off, where Jack was the on-site entertainment, spouting poetry to draw crowds into their corner of the International Sportsman's Expo, where the IDOS event is held.

The first couple of years we went I stayed, but I'll confess the folding chairs, camo-clad crowd, taxidermy decor and excruciating testosterone level were not my idea of a good time. They aren't for Jack, either, but for him the cooking and the Dutch oven bonding made up for it. For me, staying meant no time to appreciate being in the city.

So Friday morning I dropped him off at the back door and went off on my merry way. Stop one: Horse Crazy to find some breeches that weren't eight sizes too big. So sorry I didn't take a picture of the corgi puppy they had in the store. She was precious. All ears and feet. Scored a great Ariat vest from their consignment section. Exercised great restraint in the tack and footwear departments.

A store full of English riding apparel, tack and accoutrement? Not even in Jack's alley.


Stop two: Shopping. I know most women would probably use exclamation points for shopping, but I am NOT a fan of trying on clothes. I do what I have to do. For 15 years I have been shopping in the same store. Buying the same brands. I'm quite at a loss now, but I have to have new clothes. Nothing fits. I tried on approximately eighty-six thousand items and bought four.

I ask you - does your husband enjoy clothes shopping with you? I didn't think so.


That chore done, it was on to the fun stuff. Consignment stores! The treasures Joan at for the love of a house finds inspired me to do some of my own digging. In case you are ever in SLC and have the same predilection, here are some places to try: Now and Again, Secondhand Chic, and Vintage Butterfly.

As for Jack's day? He brought a woman to tears (of laughter) with "The Bra", noshed on the competitor's fare and bonded with Dutch oven celebrity Cee Dub.

Good day had by all. :)

1 comment:

for the love of a house said...

hi Cory!
it was so fun to be reading along and see my name!! (and thank you for spelling the blog correctly in all lower case;)! So did you find any goodies?
I am soooo with you, I HATE to clothes shop. HATE. I do houses, I do not do clothes.....
I need to go back and read again about Jack and his love of the dutch oven! I love that! I have French dutch ovens, but I'm thinking Jack would laugh me out of the kitchen as an imposter!
Hope y'all both had a good time in SLC!
joan