Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nature taking its course


First, let me say if I could have stopped this from happening I would have. I tried running them off. I tried separating them. I tried scaring them. Nothing distracted their focus on each other. After several minutes I gave up and went for the camera.


I hope this isn't too distasteful for anyone, but it so clearly fits the mission of this blog (former PETA member hosts cockfight??) I had to share.


The backstory is that Charlie (left) is older. Charlie became the second rooster on our place, submissive to Rocky, our old comb-less, one-eyed Plymouth Barred Rock rooster. Rocky was the best. He warned the hens of danger, kept them together and never bothered us. Charlie kept his place and so we kept him. He had a brother who harassed the hens and therefore went to live elsewhere.


Refuge under the horse trailer (where they can't jump up).

The other rooster is part of a unique hatch of three: two hens and a rooster. They have stayed together ever since they were chicks. Almost all of the time they roost in the barn instead of the chicken house. Separate but equal?


Last week, we found Rocky's body near the barn. We don't know what happened, but he was old. I like to think that was it. Please don't ruin my illusions. I like them. Besides, how much more reality can I take than a cockfight in my driveway? Anyway, apparently this is where it gets very Lion King, chicken style.
There was a lot of this.
And a lot of this.

Probably for the benefit of these chicks who watched the whole thing from behind the fence. Like ultimate cage fighting in reverse.
At any rate, it appears Charlie did not appreciate Samuel moving in on his territory and decided to express his feelings on the matter.

At first I blamed Charlie since he seemed to be the aggressor, but when I ran him off, the younger rooster went after him. Without any fences, they were easily able to avoid me and focus on each other.
Minutes went by. Many minutes. This was no flash in the pan, let's get it out of our system and be done with it. This was menace with meaning.
Blind dog watches cockfight. He was totally confused, but pretty sure they weren't supposed to be doing that.
Now here is where it got amazing. I was sure they were just going to keep going at each other until one couldn't fight anymore. Ugly. Then from around the trailer comes Skip. He bounds into the middle and does I 'm not sure what. Whatever it was, they immediately go their separate ways. End of story. I have a picture, but I still don't know what happened. Animals are phenomenal.

The results.
Crowing about his "victory" to the heifers.
The prize? 

As soon as it was over she came running over to him. 
Florence Nightingale?  
Pink lady to his T-Bird? 

Perhaps I am projecting too much on to this?

1 comment:

for the love of a house said...

I thought this post was fascinating... especially loved the former PETA member hosts cockfight comment!!! Sweet Mater trying to figure it all out, then Skip coming up and breaking it up is amazing. Do you think he just got tired of listening to them? Or maybe he didn't like you taking pictures of them instead of him!!
Glad they didn't kill each other....