Monday, February 21, 2011

Pardonnez-moi, avez-vous la viande bovine congelée?


IMG_1514
Another consequence of living in this beautiful land far away from “civilization” is that it is well, far away. Generally we like living apart, but what we enjoy being apart from is the congestion, strip malls and claustrophobic homogeneity. It is less fun to be so far from friends and family.
Last week I realized today was a holiday and that meant a three-day weekend – one with enough time to visit a friend I hadn’t seen in many months. It is a six-hour drive in good weather and snow was forecast but I went anyway.
I drove for six hours Saturday, spent the night and drove seven hours home on Sunday in and out of snowstorms. But it was worth it to see them and spend time with their baby girl.
And what did I bring as a thank-you for hosting me? A plant? A nice box sweets? A basket of decorative goodies? A book?
Nope.
A cooler full of beef.
Maybe I do need to spend some more time in civilized society after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a cooler full of beef it a wonderful hostess gift!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me! I keep talking about buying part of a cow from a local rancher. Maybe I should hook up with you (though now I've seen all the pictures of them looking all cute and cuddly!)