Saturday, December 18, 2010

Smart as a box of rocks

A good snapshot stops a moment from running away.
~Eudora Welty


I once stayed with a woman who collected rocks. Boxes and boxes full of rocks. It was astounding. And I tell people one of the reasons I don't have many books is that no one will help you move! I thought she was a bit over the top, but she did love them. Who am I to judge?

And now here I am, trying to wrestle into submission what my dear husband thinks is an equally ridiculous collection. Apparently, I collect pictures. Thankfully, the days of having to spread them out on the floor are over, but the rest of the chores aren't. I still have to find a safe place to store them, organize them into albums and label them. Good grief it is a job. In 90 minutes I've managed to only sort out a few hundred of the 1,000+ waiting for digital homes.

A couple of months ago we got a new computer so I had to upload all of the pictures from the old one in a hurry. I've had this photo storage account for a year. There are nearly 7,000 pictures saved there already! Y'all, my life ain't that interesting.

I give you:









There is no need for me to have pictures like this. Seriously! It is like keeping a Styrofoam mold that kept a long-broken statue safe in the also long-gone box. Why? Please understand my brain gets this. The rest of me, however, is succumbing to the hoarding impulse. "But, but, it might be croppable into something special. Posterized, maybe. How can I delete something before I know its potential?"

My friend is a wonderful photographer. Her camera is much fancier and therefore every picture she takes consumes loads more file space than mine. I asked her how she handles this issue.

"If I know I'm not going to do anything with it, I delete it."

ACK! A piece of my soul exploded at the waste. So many great photos - lost! Gone! Executed before their time.

I have issues. God, forgive me. And, also, thank you for the unlimited file storage of flickr!

No comments: